House in Town
Originally built in 1849 by Architect Henry Austin, the original residence of Moses Perkins is characteristic of 19th century rural Maine architecture. The house came under new ownership in 2006, and after occupying the home for several years, the new owners required some changes. They desired a stronger connection to a terrace on the backside of the house where they spent a large portion of the summer, but the house is located in a historic district and any portion of the house that can be seen from the road was required to retain its historic character. The solution seeks to capture the essence of the house while at the same time distinguishing the new work from the 19th century architecture.
General Contractor: Jon D. Woodward & Sons
Structural Engineer: Becker Structural
Lighting Design: Peter Knuppel
Photography by Trent Bell
2015 – Grand Award, Remodeling Design Awards